As early as in June 1943 it was decided to develop, on the basis of the 8F and Austerities, a new engine for various European railways that could be put into service immediately after the war, before local locomotive manufacturers could recover. Appropriately named Liberation, this engine was designed for Continental vehicle gauge, with the participation of railway specialists from Belgium, Czechoslovakia, France, Greece, the Netherlands, Poland and Yugoslavia. It retained the axle arrangement, basic layout and certain design features of the British engines, but was an entirely new design.
Between 1945 and 1946 Vulcan Foundry Ltd. of Newton-le-Willows built 120 Liberations (serial numbers 5357 through 5476). Of these, 10 were supplied to Luxembourg (CFL class 47, service numbers 4701 to 4710) and the rest were distributed by UNRRA (United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration) between Czechoslovakia, Poland and Yugoslavia.